Tuesday 13 April 2010

Soundcrash: DJ Yoda at Kentish Town Forum


On Saturday night I toddled down to Kentish Town Forum for Soundcrash, a 3D audiovisual extravaganza which essentially was, to my delight, a comedy dance music night.

Soundcrash is behind a whole range of hip hop/dubstep/anything-goes events ranging from the Trojan Sound System party at Koko last week (I'll blog about that later) to the Soundwave Festival in Croatia this July (which looks wicked - check out www.soundwavecroatia.com). The promotion has only recently come on my radar but boy, it's a good'un.

All the DJs at this gig were performing an AV mashup on the big screens that were hoisted up around the venue, so they get maximum respect for the amount of effort - and YouTube hours - that must have gone into getting a set together.

The party kicked off with Solid Steel's DJ Cheeba, who gets my top marks for the night. Cheeba smashed it, mixing and scratching everything from jungle to dubstep to Flight of the Conchords. The most memorable part has to be this (literally) dope Alice in Wonderland remix...



Second best bit of Cheeba's set was when he played 'Akama' by Kaitain and Tom Central. I say that not just because the latter was my date for the night, but because it was a genuinely badass track. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Next up were the Addictive TV DJs, who looked like what I can only describe as the Three Stooges dancing on stage like my dad at a wedding. Unfortunately they took the joke a bit too far. Instead of striking that delicate balance of excellent music with a measured dose of humour, they went all out, culminating in a badly chosen track from Family Guy. The most excruciating fact was, they looked more excited than the punters. But let's not dwell.

DJ Yoda came on next, doing what Yoda does best. He's famous for his well-crafted AV shows and this Magic Cinema Set, as he calls it, was no disappointment. It must be hard for a DJ to retain their credibility while playing a Tom Jones track to a serious dance-music crowd, but somehow Yoda managed to pull it off (give or take a few missed cues).

He dropped enough quality raving tunes to keep me skanking, but every now and then pulled some hilarity out of the bag, too. I never thought I'd see the day Lonely Island's 'I'm on a Boat' was played at a rave. If you haven't seen it yet, you're going to LOVE this:

1 comment:

  1. Cheeba's the man. Never fails to turn the party out. Ups the game every time you see him too.

    ReplyDelete