Sunday 15 August 2010

Notting Hill Carnival - a Gravity Skank guide


It's nearly time for Europe's biggest street festival, Notting Hill Carnival, which runs every year over the August Bank Holiday (Sunday to Monday).

I have a love-hate relationship with Carnival. On the one hand it's an awesome party showcasing the best of the capital's unrivalled music scene. Nothing beats dancing in the street to jungle, right? Plus there's the added bonus of all that gorgeous Caribbean food, (hopefully) some glorious summer sunshine, the dazzling carnival outfits and the prospect of running into old friends along the route and sharing the good vibes.

I used to live along the route and that year was the best for me - mainly because it meant I didn't have to pay to use a skanky loo in someone's house. And I can cope with some of the down-sides to carnival, too. Following the processions, there's always a point where the heaving crowds get a bit too much (I use the Underground so am well used to being crushed into a stranger's armpit). And some sound systems - such as Norman Jay's Good Times - get so full early on, you simply won't get in.

But the biggest problem with Carnival is all the eeedyat rudeboys who cause trouble. It can become an annual showdown of yoot rajjiness sometimes. Last year I witnessed so much violence I swore I wouldn't go again. However, in fairness, lots of people had a great time last year and didn't have the same experience as me, so perhaps I was just in the wrong places at the wrong times.

A few tips from Gravity Skank for this year's event:
1. Know the route. And more importantly, get to know the back routes.
2. Take your own booze!
3. If you want to avoid hassle, go on the Sunday (kids day) or catch the last of the processions on the Monday night - sound systems end around 7pm but processions can go on after this.
4. On the other hand if you want to catch one of the big sound systems, get there early. 
5. Know your after parties... you WILL want to keep dancing.
6. Try and get on the Red Bull guestlist (see my next post for details).
7. Don't forget your rave horn...

No comments:

Post a Comment