Sunday 24 October 2010

Chase & Status album launch


Last Thursday I returned to a venue close to my heart, Kentish Town Forum, for the Chase & Status album launch party.

The gig was set up as part of the Q Awards, a rather bizarrely matched series of events to count down to the annual music prizegiving. (I say bizarrely matched because Q magazine is aimed at an older, mainstream market, whereas the music of Chase & Status is more commonly found on the iPods of hip young things with a Mixmag subscription.)

The launch party for 'No More Idols' was a packed, lively affair. There was much dancing, much singing along, and even a bit of crowd surfing. This is what I call The Pendulum Effect, where the habits of the rock scene have crept into drum & bass parties. Ten years ago, if you'd elbowed your neighbour while moshing on the dancefloor, or lobbed a pint of beer across the crowd, you'd have been given a slap on the wrists pretty quick. It just wasn't acceptible then. So imagine my surprise at seeing a mini wall of death form in the centre of the Forum.

Chase & Status are awesome producers and, having toured with chart toppers like Prodigy and Dizzee Rascal, aim high with their live production standards. This event featured lighting effects and visuals to rival any Chemical Brothers gig and even a rather natty drum kit on stage.

The music of Chase & Status - who have truly nailed the D&B, dubstep and breakbeat scenes - is crisp, anthemic and accessible, and I don't mean that in the patronising sense. The duo performed only a handful of tracks from their new album, but enough to show that it will feature a hefty dose of catchy vocals and infectious basslines. The rest of the shindig was devoted to bangers from their incredible first album, 'More Than Alot'.

MC Rage joined them on stage, doing his usual hype-man routine of bigging up London. More than a lot. The show also featured a number of guests including grime bod Tempah T.

2 comments:

  1. Ahahaha I've just re-read this and it totally sounds like I am arse-kissing here. Not my most finessed of blog posts - though I stand by the fact the Chase and Status are fucking awesome!!! And it was a rad gig....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog, glad I found it!

    Following u on Twitter (I'm @corrosivesounds) - if you're bored, head over to my site - www.corrosivesounds.co.uk (shameless plug?)

    ReplyDelete